The Building Regulations

Many jobs in the home need to be notified to and approved by your Local Authority Building Control unless carried out by an installer who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme such as NAPIT.

If You Ignore The Building Regulations

  • If you do not comply the work will not be legal. You could be prosecuted and could face a fine of up to £5000.
  • The work may not be safe or could cause health problems. It may also not meet energy efficiency standards.
  • If work is found to be faulty, your Local Authority could insist you put it right at your own expense.
  • If the work has not been notified or carried out by a registered installer from a Competent Person Scheme you will have no record that the work complies with Building Regulations. This will be important when you come to sell your home as you will be asked to provide certificates of compliance with the Building Regulations.
  • You will also require compliance certificates when making an insurance claim. If you do not have valid documents your claim will be disputed.


Use A CPS Registered Installer

  • An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with Building Regulations and will deal with Building Control issues for you. You will also have access to insurance backed warranties and a robust complaints procedure to use in the unlikely event that work is found to be non-compliant.
  • An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme will notify the Local Authority on your behalf and will issue you with a certificate on completion, which can be used as proof of compliance. It will also show up on a solicitor’s Local Authority search when you sell your home.
  • If you do not use an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme then you will have to submit a building notice or full planning application and pay the requisite fee to have Building Control come and inspect the work you have carried out.


Jane's Story


PIRUS Electrical

When you need professional advice or expert assistance contact PIRUS Electrical. 

Call:    Bob Davies

Tel:     01443 777987 or

            07508 912968




PIRUS Electrical, 18 Glan-Yr-Afon, Treorchy, RCT, CF42 6DD